The history of Habsburg Jews is a complicated one, because this changing realm was made up from a patchwork of territories and jurisdictions. In general, however, Jews were present in what later became the Habsburg empire since Roman times. Though they were expelled from many of the provinces of the Catholic Habsburg realm, they were able to establish a continuous presence in Prague since the tenth century. Austria, gained its largest Jewish population, however, after its annexation of Galicia from Poland in 1772. By 1782, reformist legislation allowed for a flourishing of the Jewish community within the Austrian and Hungarian halves of the Habsburg realms, with large numbers of Ashkenazic, or Yiddish-speaking, Jews concentrating in the capital cities of Vienna and Budapest. At the time of its collapse in 1918 the Habsburg Empire had some 300,000 Jews, about 200,000 in Vienna alone. These numbers were greatly reduced first by partition and then by the tragedy of the Holocaust. Emigration has also reduced the number of Jews in post-Habsburg Austria, where approximately 8,000 Jews live today.